– PODCAST – As part of our Goldsmiths’ Fair 2017 talks programme, jeweller and Woman’s Hour Crafts Prize finalist Romilly Saumerez Smith was joined in conversation by Lucie Gledhill, Anna Wales and jewellery authority Janice Hosegood. Romilly’s work aims to transform the stories contained in discarded everyday objects, such as dress pins found in the […]
– PODCAST – As part of the Goldsmiths’ Fair 2017 Breakfast Talk programme, we were delighted to welcome Maria Doulton, Editor-in-Chief and co-Founder of The Jewellery Editor. Maria spoke about Red Carpet Jewellery, and its influence on larger trends. A selection of images from the talk are available below.
– PODCAST – As part of our Goldsmiths’ Fair 2017 talks programme, we were delighted to welcome to Catrin Jones, Curator of Decorative Arts at the Holborne Museum. In this abridged version of her Breakfast Talk, Catrin speaks about understanding the surface of silver, and how silversmiths can transform the surface of silver by creating […]
– PODCAST – As part of our 2017 Goldsmiths’ Fair talks programme, we were delighted to welcome Dr Julia Farley, Curator of British and European Iron Age Collections at The British Museum, to talk on the subject of Gold in Britain 2,500 years ago with particular reference to the recent discovery of the ‘Leekfrith’ Torcs […]
– PODCAST – As part of the Goldsmiths’ Fair 2017 talks programme, Eleni Bide, Goldsmiths’ Company Librarian, discussed the drawings of Omar Ramsden and the Artificers’ Guild and their connection to Arts and Crafts aesthetics and ideals. The Company’s archives date back to the 14th century, and the Library’s collections include over 8,000 books and over […]
Balancing Bowl (3), a boundary-pushing Sterling silver and patinated gilding metal objet d’art by Goldsmiths’ Fair exhibitor Juliette Bigley, has been acquired by the V&A Museum, London. The highly sculptural piece explores the bowl form, yet doesn’t fully embrace practicality as its ‘concave’ element is shallow, off-centre and flat. The work’s rounded silver vessel ‘balances’ on a darkened […]
London-based jeweller Sonia Cheadle has won the Goldsmiths’ Fair 2017 Best New Design Award (Week Two) for her exquisite Four Seasons Brooches comprising Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. The series combines precious metals, diamonds and steel. Announcing the prize, curator and journalist Corrine Julius drew attention to the brooches’ natural sense of movement and quiet […]